Wednesday, October 7, 2009

On the death of my grandmother

Dang!

I've been looking at this poem for hours now. And i still cant really figure out what are the aspects that determine my "horizon of expectation" in response to this poem.

Frankly, I dont really care. I mean, I read poems and short stories and novels because i like them. and i read them for pleasure and satisfaction. Who cares if my life experiences or their association to other works or even the genre determine how i read them.

What then determines my expectations and interpretations of these works? Simple.
If i love it, i recommend it.
If i like it, i continue reading it.
If i go "huh?", i just thrown it around first and maybe continue reading it.
If i find it boring, then screw it.

Too bad those determining factors are not in the literary theory i need to justify.
Jauss, Hawthorn and Iser! Boo yah for being such tight @rses when reading literature.

No comments: