Friday, January 27, 2012

Family time

It's the time of the year again where families gather and have fun. I dread CNY more than I do Christmas. That's because people tend to be more nosy when they have to give out money to unmarried young adults.

Choruses of "still single?" mixed with the interlude of "but you're already 24" with a little hint of "why don't you try meet him first" on constant replay in the midst of all the booming fireworks and munching of CNY cookies.

But nothing can beat the feeling of receiving all the ang pow's and secretly sneak away for the crowd to keep track of the amount of money collected. It's even a race with my brothers to see who collected more each year. And no one can take away the sin of being a glutton during CNY when all you're relatives will encourage you to eat more since you're still "growing".

The essence of CNY for me would always be familiarity, knowing that there will be great food and company for me to be merry.

No comments: