Sunday, February 5, 2012

Go and talk to her. I dare you.


I stared back, shocked and embarrassed to admit that I have not been listening to a single word. I smiled sheepishly, hoping that I would be off the hook this time. The reason I have not been listening to a word my best friend was saying, was standing right in front of me. I quickly turned away and looked at my feet. Silently, I prayed to the stars and gathered all the courage I have to look her way before I was smacked squarely on the back of my head. Grimacing in mock pain, I peeked at my best friend seated on my right. That hideous camouflage cap I have given as a joke for this year’s birthday was in those hands that had taken a swing at me.

“She is beautiful, isn’t she?”

There it was, the phrase that I dreaded the most. The minute I admit to that fact will be the minute all the taunting and teasing starts and stays for the rest of my life. I sighed and pretended to enjoy the KL night sky.

“Come on. Go in for the kill. Go talk to her. I dare you”

I looked at that smile carved on that cheeky face. Despite all the sassinesss and playfulness bundled up in that tiny body, I could sense the seriousness of that dare. I turned my attention back to the girl. Three more stops and that is it, she will be gone for the day. Standing there with her headphones, she looked so calm and poised. Her black ballerina skirt danced playfully around her knees, a dramatic contrast to her milky skin. Her head was tilted slightly from reading the book in her hands and her feet tapping to the beat of the music. Enthralled by her beauty, I was caught staring at her when she suddenly looked my way. Our eyes met briefly before she smiled and sat on the seat a few rows in front of us that was recently vacant. My heart had stopped temporarily from that split second, electrifying moment. Having witnessing it all, my best friend scoffed.

“Go talk to her” was the mantra chanted repeatedly which had resulted in the secret and brief denouncement of my friendship with a madman. After what seemed like an eternity of chanting, patience must have been running fairly thin in those bloodstreams before I was shoved out of my seat. With a simple “go”, I was sent on a humble journey to a deadly mission with devastating results. I inhaled deeply and went in for the kill, totally oblivious to the fact that the person who will be devastated most from this was seated beside a window, wearing a hideous camouflage cap given by a friend.

1 comment:

A s h i k i n said...

ooow
this is what i love about your writing. the ending is always the best